Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Quality Time With God, Part 4

It cannot be stressed enough how important it is that you learn to get alone with God. Many have confused activity and religion with intimacy. It is not! Scripture clearly teaches that God desires obedience rather than sacrifice; relationship rather than ritual (1 Sam 15:22; Hosea 6:6; Micah 6:8).

Tozer explains, “There are some things that you and I will never learn when others are present. I believe in church and I love the fellowship of the assembly. There is much we can learn when we come together on Sundays and sit among the saints. But there are certain things that you and I will never learn in the presence of other people. Unquestionably, part of our failure today is religious activity that is not preceded by aloneness, by inactivity. I mean getting alone with God and waiting in silence and quietness until we are charged with God's Spirit. Then, when we act, our activity really amounts to something because we have been prepared by God for it.... "

Steps to develop a quality time with God:
1. Separation. Carve out a specific time everyday to get alone with God. Remove yourself from anything that will distract you (e.g. phone, tv, computer, etc.)
2. Preparation. Pray and ask God to speak to you as you listen to him. Open your Bible and begin reading His Word. Use your mind. Ask questions: “God, what can I learn about You in this passage? God, what can I learn about myself in this passage? God, what do I need to change in my life, at my job, in my relationships with others, as a witness for You?”
3. Reception. Do it! Carry it out and look for ways to live out what you learned and ask God to give you the opportunity to learn and carry out what He showed you in your time with Him.

No comments: