Thursday, June 21, 2007

Church and Postmodernism


"My most recent faith struggle is not one of intellect. I don’t really do that anymore. Sooner or later you just figure that there are some guys who don’t believe in God and they can prove He doesn’t exist, and some other guys do believe in God and they can prove God does exist, and the arguments stopped being about God a long time ago and now it’s about who is smarter, and honestly I don’t care. I don’t believe I will ever walk away from God for intellectual reasons. Who knows anything anyway? If I walk away from Him, and please pray that I never do, I will walk away for social reasons, identity reasons, deep emotional reasons, the same reasons that any of us do anything." – Donald Miller, Blue Like Jazz, 103.

After realizing the failures of the modern era with all of its promises and optimism, the postmodern culture responded with a cynical outlook on life. When the sciences left man with an empty bag, postmodernism entered the stage and questioned anything of truth and absolute. Our culture is an environment where truth is relative and anything of authority is questioned. As a believer, it is our duty to know our culture and seek ways to interact with others to bring them the power of the gospel. For an explanation of postmodernism, read here.

No comments: