Friday, March 16, 2007

Dad-To-Be

Well, I have been quite busy these last few weeks. Working very hard to frontload my coursework at the beginning of the semester has become very strenuous. I am trying so hard to have all of my coursework completed before the arrival of a little one to our family. Nicole and I spent eight weeks of pregnancy preparation with the Bradley method. If any of you are familiar with this method, you know the importance of focusing and creating an image in your mind to help ease the discomfort and pain. Also we learned lots of standing, squatting, sitting, and leaning techniques in order to find a right position when delivering. I have so much to learn about being a parent. In our first class, we were given introduction questions as icebreakers. I was asked, “How many diapers will you use a day?” I said “Uh, two!” My answer was greeted with a roar of laughter and the response “Try 20!!” Last weekend, Nicole and I went to San Antonio to pick up a baby crib and dresser graciously given to us by her sister and brother-in-law. When we arrived back home, we wanted to put it together and place it in the corner where 2 of my bookshelves used to stand (the bookshelves have been sold and my books have made their way to the basement of my parents-in-law’s home). Now it seems so strange to walk into my bedroom and find a crib and lots of bright blue and green toys, blankets, and clothes. As I stood in the doorway, I actually hit me, “This is for real.” Though I speak in a jestful manner, I am very excited and cannot wait until I can hold my little one.

No comments: