Thursday, February 3, 2011

Connected?

I read a recent column in a bulletin from my home church in Orangeburg, SC, and I want to share some of the pastor’s thoughts.

The apostle John tells us that when we are connected to Jesus and bearing fruit, it will be evidence that we are disciples of Jesus Christ.

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.” John 15:5-8

How connected are you?

Are you connected to people who help you grow in the Lord? Do you surround yourself with people who bring out the best in you? Are you connected with people who challenge you to walk closer to the Lord? Are you connected to people who will hold you accountable?

Are you connected to the community? Are you living the life of a follower of Jesus Christ? Is your life making a difference here in Marietta? Are the people of Marietta changed by your life? Do they see Jesus through your words and actions? Are you doing everything you can to share the gospel of Christ with others? Are you sensitive to people’s needs around you and looking for ways to meet their needs?

Are you connected to the church? Do you seek to serve along with others at North Hills Baptist to carry out God’s will for this church? Are you more than just a pew sitter on Sunday morning? Do you go beyond the services to build deeper relationships with one another? Are you working together with others or separately? Are you using your spiritual gift(s)? Are you involved in ministries here at North Hills?

Are you connected to Christ? Are you totally reliant on God and Him alone? Are you seeking His will for your life? Are you disciplining yourself to know more about Christ through prayer? Reading and meditating on His Word? Spending time alone with God? Are you “cause-driven” or “Christ-driven”? Are you serving “cause” you have to? Or do you serve because you seek to honor Christ with your life?

Again, how connected are you?

No comments: