“I feel it is far better to begin with God, to see His face first, to get my soul near Him before it is near another. In general it is best to have at least one hour alone with God before engaging in anything else.” E. M. Bounds, Purpose in Prayer
A tool to help you to pray (A.C.T.S.)
A (adoration): Before thinking of anything else, focus on the person of God first. Begin your prayer with praise and admiration of our God. The Bible gives us some names that describe our great God.
Here are some examples:
• Elohim (Strong One) who created and sustains the universe
• Adonai (Master or Lord) who deserves our complete allegiance
• Yahweh (Lord or Jehovah) who has made a covenant with His people
• Ancient of Days who is above time and space (Dan 7:9)
• Yahweh Jireh who will provide (Gen 22:14)
• El Shaddai (God Almighty) who supplies comfort (Gen 17:1; Ex 6:3)
• El Elyon (Most High God) who is supreme and sovereign (Gen 14:18)
• Yahweh Shalom who gives peace to His people (Judg 6:24)
S (supplication or intercession):
• Praise God for His great character!
• Meditate on a name or two this week on the character of God.