Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A Constant Renewal


Remember the popular bracelet WWJD (What Would Jesus Do)? It was a vivid reminder to the one who wore the bracelet the actions, words, and thoughts of Jesus. When the individual was tempted to view something on television or in a magazine, the bracelet would prompt the person to think about whether Christ would spend time viewing the material. If the person was tempted to respond with anger or vengeance because of some offense, the bracelet would invoke Christ’s response in Luke 6:27-29, “But I say to you who hear, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.” I am not sure how effective the bracelet was for the wearer since I have never worn one, but the concept was created to exhort people to think about Christ throughout the day.

I have found a similar concept with my wedding ring. On my wedding day, I received a James Avery ring with the Hebrew inscription from Song of Solomon 2:16, “My beloved is mine, and I am hers.” During the day when I am at work and away from my wife, I wear the ring with the Hebrew letters facing me so when I look down I am reminded that my heart and soul belongs to my wife. When I arrive home, I turn the ring around with the Hebrew letters facing away from me to remind me that I am with my beloved. I’ll be the first to admit that I am a little quirky, but something as minute as turning my wedding ring constantly renews my vows and commitments to my wife.

No comments: