Related to the church.
* LDS (Latter Day Saints) believe that the Mormon Church is the only true church on the earth and claim that all Mormons have the authority of the priesthood.
* The Bible teaches that the church exists both in a locale and universal form (Matt 16:15-19; Eph 2:19-22).
Related to the Word of God.
* LDS believe that the Book of Mormon was originally written 1500 years prior to being given to Smith; therefore, the book has a spiritual origination. Mormons claim that the Book of Mormon is another testament with a fuller and complete revelation.
* The Bible teaches that the Word of God is “inspired by God…” (2 Tim 3:16) and was written by “men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God” (2 Pet 1:21).
Related to Jesus Christ.
* LDS teaches several things about Jesus Christ:
1) Jesus was created and is the “first born” Son of God.
2) Jesus provided immortality for every person.
* The Bible teaches that Jesus Christ was virgin born and is God incarnate. He existed in all time with the Father and the Holy Spirit in the eternal Trinity. Jesus possessed two natures- human and divine (John 1:1-18; 8:56-59; Col 1:13-22).
Related to salvation.
* LDS believes that Jesus’ atonement provided immortality for all people and man receives this immortality through good deeds which are part and parcel of one’s standing before God.
* The Bible explains that man is saved entirely by grace through faith “not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast” (Eph2:8-9).
Related to the Trinity.
* LDS teaches that there are three separate Gods.
* Though the word Trinity is never used in the Bible, both the OT and NT express diversity within the Godhead. The NT expounds further on these Three Persons, the Bible teaches that each Person is eternally God in person, nature, and being.
Related to man.
* LDS teaches that men are preexisted spiritual offspring of the Heavenly Father.
* The Bible teaches that man was created in the image of God (Genesis 1:26-27), but was not created as a god. We were uniquely created by a God who has given each of us dignity and worth.
Related to sin.
* LDS teaches that man has disobeyed God and His commandments, and as a result of disobedience, man has lost his immortality.
* The Bible teaches that man chose disobedience and therefore rejected God (Rom 3:23; 1 John 1:8-10).