Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Ingredients of a Nurturing Home

Because I am such a strong advocate of the family, I always look for opportunities to spawn parents to examine the health of their family life. Even in my own life, I am constantly probing those areas where I fail to meet God’s standard for me as a husband and as a dad. We all have room to improve in all areas of our lives, so we should not only examine these areas but also encourage others to do the same. I was reminded of this when I read James Dobson’s editorial comments in Time magazine (December 2006 issue). Dobson’s comments were a response to Time’s inquiry about lesbian partners who were raising children in the home. Particularly related to Vice President Dick Cheney’s daughter, Mary, decision to raise a child with her lesbian partner, Dobson argues that children’s development will not flourish properly within a home of same sex couples (Two Mommies is One Too Many). In the editorial, Dobson wrote, “But love alone is not enough to guarantee healthy growth and development. The two most loving women in the world cannot provide a daddy for a little boy—any more than two most loving men can complete role models for a little girl.” As I read his comments, I have to ask, “What are the necessary ingredients for a nurturing home?”

Any thoughts.

No comments: